Advanced Motivational Interviewing
Date(s) - 04/02/2020
Please note: This training has been moved from an in-person to online-only event. More details will be announced.
This advanced level (Level 2) motivational interviewing (MI) course builds on the fundamental concepts and basic skills learned in the Level 1 Health Navigation Fundamentals course. In this course, you will expand your skills related to the strategic use of questions and reflections to build upon and deepen client change talk. You will also learn to reduce client resistance by practicing complex and focused reflective listening skills.
Prerequisite: Level 1: Health Navigation Fundamentals or Basic MI course
Course Activities: Course activities include small group work, role-playing, practice sessions, and group discussion to provide an interactive session to help facilitate learning. Patient navigator-specific scenarios will be integrated throughout training to simulate real scenarios when possible.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Explain the spirit and principles of MI
- List the four basic MI communication skills (OARS)
- Demonstrate empathic listening skills
- Demonstrate the directive aspects of MI
- Describe the fundamental client language cues (change talk and resistance) that
- allow feedback and learning in practice
- Demonstrate the use of strategic open-ended questions and reflections that elicit and deepen client motivation
- Demonstrate the use of complex reflections to decrease client resistance