The Affordable Care Act
Signed into law in March 2010 by President Barack Obama, the Affordable Care Act (sometimes referred to as ObamaCare) seeks to expand health insurance coverage, protect consumers and provide flexible health insurance options. Key features include:
- access to insurance for patients with pre-existing conditions
- young adult coverage – children can be covered up until age 26
- elimination of lifetime limits on insurance coverage
All health insurance plans sold on the official websites are required to offer all of the new rights, protections and benefits of the Affordable Care Act.
Connect for Health Colorado
El Mercado de Seguros de Salud de Colorado
Connect for Health Colorado (also in Spanish) is the official Colorado State marketplace for health insurance where consumers can apply for health care plans, compare prices of plans, change plans and apply for cost-assistance. Financial Help Estimator linked on the homepage. Call 855-752-6749 to speak with a customer service representative.
More Colorado Insurance Resources
- Colorado.gov/health – Health information and resources
- Health First Colorado – CO’s Medicaid program
- ColoradoPEAK – online service for Coloradans to screen and apply for medical, food, cash, and early childhood assistance programs.
- Blue Guide Colorado (also in Spanish) – Find a provider for uninsured/underinsured Coloradans
National Insurance Resources
- BenefitsCheckUp – online tool that connects older adults with benefits they may qualify for
- Healthcare.gov – National Health Insurance Marketplace
- State Health Insurance Health Insurance Types, 2018 – Kaiser Family Foundation
- Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services
- Find Your State Marketplace – Another resource to search plans