Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, is seeking a Patient Navigator for the Family Medicine and Community Health Research department at the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School.
The Patient Navigator supports the improvement of patient outcomes through the implementation of evidence-based patient navigation services for cancer screening. This program’s focus is the prevention and treatment of lung cancer but may expand to other cancers. The Patient Navigator is a pivotal role that provides guidance to some of the most at-risk patients, helping clients prevent cancer, screen for cancer, and gain access to quality cancer treatment. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who is passionate about patient care, equitable health care access and who works well in a dynamic position with a high degree of independence and flexibility.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
- Performs outreach to patients due for cancer screening.
- Facilitates and schedules patient appointments/referrals with appropriate provider(s) for cancer screening and follow-up. Attends appointments with patients on an as-needed basis.
- Makes confirmation calls/mailings/emails to patients regarding future appointment dates.
- Responds to patient inquiries and assists patients with the completion of paperwork.
- Educates patients on care processes and provides counsel to reduce anxiety and fear.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing, Public Health, a social or behavioral science, plus two (2) years of experience with health care clinic operations in a problem-solving, patient-facing role (preferably, as a patient navigator).
- Electronic health record (EHR) experience.
- Experience guiding patients through Medicaid, Charity Care, and other insurance/payment plan enrollment or access.